Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Starting a New Year


I am a 54 year old grandma, living on the central Oregon coast. The photo shows me at the art studio I hang out at. It is a non-profit group with awesome classes and free open-studio time. Something is going on every day of the week.

My fabulous daughter and her two girls live nearby and I share a home with my 88 year old papa. He is awesome, getting shorter by the day, but still as cute as he was 15 years ago. My mom always said he was so handsome, not homely like some of the guys she knew.

She said he might have been six years younger than here, but he was so much more mature than they were. He had been out on his own since the age of 15, so at nearly 21 he really was more mature than the "boys" here age.

Hopefully this will be a more productive year. I had plans for last year, too, but they were kind of pushed aside amidst all sorts of family angst and turmoil. Not to mention the bad boyfriend.

This year I am going to be much more proactive. I am going to do something creative everyday, whether it is just read about art, jewelry, beading, or check out other people's work on the web.

I am also going to get an Etsy store up and running if I can ever get through the hoops they make you jump through to get everything up and running. I have to find my digital camera so I can actually photograph more of my work. I have paintings and jewelry just waiting to be posted. I keep thinking there ought to be an easier way, but the only one I can think of involves spending money I presently do not have.
My jewelry work gives me a lot of pleasure, and as an added bonus, if it doesn't sell I get to wear it. I have had a love of jewelry since I was a little girl, and as I got older my folks gave me some beautiful vintage pieces. My daughter and I design jewelry together. She has great designs just pouring out of her head, and I like to just sit down with piles of silver wire and beads and let it happen. So, she does the very formal compositions and I go free-form. She loves my work, but says there is no way she could ever do it. In her OCD head everything has to be symetrical. She cracks me up. She is so meticulous about so many things, but her house is not one of them. Of course with two girls it is kind of hard to keep up with everything. She is a good woman, and a great mom and daughter. She took care of my dad before I moved in with him last April. I did drive bys several times a week, but she was there for the day-to-day. Now she fills in if I am not able to be here. She has a paraplegic child, so she needed a break. I also help her with the girls. They are both awesome. The 8-year-old is hyper, funny, and not so good at entertaining herself. The 3-1/2-year-old has Spina Bifida, she also is funny, very independent, and loves to have her own space and do things her way. She adores her big sister, but she doesn't want her to touch her things.
More tomorrow.

No comments: